I never thought a time would come when my paintbrushes would gather dust. Or, that I wouldn’t have to deal with splashes of paint and scaffolding, EVER. Then came the Graco Magnum 262805 X7. I swear, I could kiss the person who invented this everyday if they lived down the road, because, honestly, it has made running my business so much easier. Of course you get those stubborn property owners who are always trying to DIY everything to save money, but judging by the current state of affairs, I’ve managed to maintain a regular base of clients. This Graco X7 Airless Paint Sprayer review should shed a bit of light.
Top Graco x7 Airless Sprayer Questions Answered
It’s one thing to recommend a new device, but it’s something else altogether to reach out in a way that appeals to potential buyers. Every one of us wants something that not only serves a useful purpose, but works exactly as it’s designed to. We answer those nagging questions right here!
1. Rent or Buy. A question asked often by many consumers. Well, It all really depends. Renting is a wise option if you’re unlikely to use it often. Renting one would probably cost you about $80, however, buying will cost you more than $200 at least. Buying is certainly an option if you run a painting business, in which case that can be recouped easily if you have the option to rent. And when you rent, use as directed, as returning a faulty sprayer will eventually boil down to buying one, and we both know you don’t want to do that.
2. Since it uses pressurized air, is it safe to use? Read the instructions and follow the safety precautions. Normally you must ensure that you wear protective eye wear and that you work in a well-ventilated area. You must also remember to always keep the release trigger locked.
3. What problems am I likely to encounter? Because this sprayer uses nozzles, filters and spray tips, the likelihood of blockages is a given. Tell-tale signs of blocking are intermittent flow -which may cease completely- or spluttering. The only way to nip this in the bud is to clean and maintain it properly. Problems of uneven coverage and runs are normally caused by using the incorrect tip size or inexperience.
4. Can I paint my entire house with this sprayer? Why, of course. This is a huge paint saver. It’s very economical.
5. Is this sprayer noisy? Yes. Not as quiet as a paintbrush, but it gets the job done.
6. Can you spray thick or thin? It all boils down to the size of your tip.
7. Can I use latex in this sprayer? Totally, go bananas!
Back To Basics: Learn A Bit More About This Sprayer
This airless Paint Sprayer works by simply pumping out paint at high pressure through a hose and out via a tiny hole on the spray tip. The internal design of the tip is such that the paint is broken up into tiny droplets before being sprayed out evenly according to the tip’s configuration. Different tip sizes are meant for different applications, like varnish, latex house paint, stain, lacquer, which all differ in terms of density and overall composition. This handy airless sprayer pumps paint from a liquid carrier or container, which is usually 5 gallons. Because of such capacity, it is better suited for extensive paint jobs.
Features and Composite Parts
When shopping around, most consumers walk around with a checklist in their heads: innovation, convenience and durability are usually top of the list. This sprayer has a number of utilitarian features that match people’s wishes, like:
* Portability. This is perhaps the one feature that sticks out like a sore thumb. This makes for easy mobility and storage.
* All-in-one. When using conventional methods like paintbrushes and rollers, it is normal to forget or misplace a few tools before or after the job. However, this device is all encompassing, with every single item you need all locked into place. Obviously you need to dismantle every other part during routine maintenance, but once you’re done taking it apart, put it back together.
* Multi-powered. It is powered by electricity or gas.
The composite features and parts that come with this sprayer will leave you gasping for breath. Why? Because at first glance, this device appears to be the perfect painting machine, then out of the blue, you discover additional accessories to complement an already compact device. You’ll find included:
Protectants & Conditioners
These are formulas created to prevent freezing, sticking rusting and corrosion. For an enhanced experience, these are included on purchase, but should be replaced frequently. They prolong the lifeline of your paint sprayer significantly.
Ever heard of a thing commonly referred to as a ‘smooth finish’. Well, if you haven’t -which I doubt- then get ready to be schooled, class is in session! Filters get rid of unwanted agents. In this case, the filter is designed to get rid of the dirt particles that result in unevenness and splatter. Filters also prevent the clogging of the tip.
Paint contains many harmful chemical agents which can cause serious medical problems in the long run. But for now, you only need to worry about inhaling fumes from solvent paint, as they can cause headaches,nausea and dizziness. So wearing the right gear is important. This includes a face mask (respirator), goggles and a work suit. In the latter case, this is meant to prevent skin cancers and itchiness.
Additional Tips. As you may know already, you can’t do anything without a tip. Tips differ in size according to the type of paint job at hand. Seeing that the tip determines the spray pattern, you have to be absolutely certain of what you want to achieve and to communicate that to the seller. For your own information, not all tips can handle different paint thicknesses. Plus, some tips are ideal for exterior projects -where wind can be a factor- and others are ideal for interior projects.
Depending on the extent of the job “at hand” you have to choose the right hose. It’s all about length. Small spaces require short hoses and the opposite is of course true. At the very least, a hose that’s 30 feet can help you achieve just about anything.
Regular maintenance will keep your sprayer running perfectly, reliably and for a VERY long time. Do the following:
- Use the Graco seal liquid to keep your packings wet, to dissolve material on the replacement rod and to reduce friction. This will make your sprayer last longer.
- Each paint job must be supplemented by inspecting, cleaning and replacing the manifold filter, gun filter and inlet strainer.
- Check the wet cup’s strainer.
- Schedule a maintenance check at the dealership where you bought your device.
Who Would Need An Airless Sprayer
Ordinarily, airless sprayers are bought by painting contractors who handle various indoor and outdoor paint jobs. However, this is not the all and all. The automotive industry makes use of these sprayers, be it car manufacturers or body shops. Furniture makers use airless sprayers to apply varnish to finished products. Besides apparent commercial use, airless sprayers can be used by every Tom, Dick and Harry. Yes, I’m referring to DIY projects as you never know when they can come in handy. For all others, see more paint sprayer reviews.
What NOT To Like About This Product
What emerges from all of this is that the Graco Magnum 262805 X7 HiBoy Cart Airless Paint Sprayer is sheer perfection, what’s there not to like, right? Well, perfection is not cast in stone. One thing that easily comes to mind is that this device is costly. Over $400! Now that’s going to leave your wallet in tears and tatters. However, it’s a small price to pay considering the innovative effort put into the design process. Full credit goes to Graco for making painting so hassle-free. Then there’s the setup process. Honestly, it’s not the easiest to assemble and dismantle. Any mistake can frustrate the accomplishment of desired results. The trigger needs to be pulled properly, the primer requires regular attention and the pressure gauge has to be monitored closely. This is a mouthful, but there’s nothing better than practice. Using a sheet of cardboard is the only way.
Air sprayers really take the sting of any paint job, no matter how daunting. People who have used this sprayer have nothing but praise.Buy one now before prices sky-rocket, because, sooner or later, demand is going to peak.